Seen this message popping up at restrooms around the city? Well this is to remind us of one of the many practical ways we can save water during the very serious water crisis Cape Town and its surrounding towns is dealing with. At Stoked School of Surf, we hope that everyone who stays in the Mother City teams up to save water like a local. Whether you’re a resident or a visitor to the city, we're all in this together! So let’s get our rain dancing shoes on and get jiggy with it…or not….
The message that the City of Cape Town is sending out is that water usage PER PERSON must be reduced to 87 litres per day.
Here are some quick tips to ‘save like a local’:
- The 2 MINUTE POWER SHOWER: rinse, turn off tap, lather, rinse off as quickly as possible
- Don’t leave the tap open while you are brushing your teeth, washing your hands or face etc
- Collect water while you shower and use this water to flush the toilet/mop floors if you’re staying at a self-catering apartment/villa
- When using tap water for cleaning vegetables/dishes etc think about what items are ‘cleanest’ and wash those first so the remaining water can be used for dirtier items
- And of course: ‘If it’s yellow let it mellow. If it’s brown, flush it down’.
Here are some tips by the city of Cape Town on how to use 87 litres:
Wonder how to do a 2-minute shower? Virgin active shows how to power-shower:
If you come surfing with us, please don’t shower just before your lesson/guided session. Since you’ll be going into the ocean, there is no reason for you to have freshly washed skin and hair. Since the showers at the beach have been turned off, you’ll have to wait for your 2-MINUTE POWER SHOWER when you return to your lodging. Luckily, the salt water is great for your skin and hair!
We hope this has helped you understand what you can do as a visitor to our beautiful city to help prevent the taps running dry….remember that there are 4 million of us who still have to live here when you return home….
We offer a range of quality surfboards and wetsuits to rent should you have the skills to venture off into the surf on your own. Rentals are for a minimum period of a half-day only. Should you wish to rent for a longer period, we do offer reduced rates. Please consult our website.
Please note that you will need to have a vehicle to transport the gear to the beach you wish to surf at. We offer delivery & collection of gear to hotels in the Camps Bay area free of charge for rentals of 2 days or longer.