Seen this message popping up at restrooms around the city? Well this is to remind us of one of the many practical ways we can save water during the very serious water crisis Cape Town and its surrounding towns is dealing with. At Stoked School of Surf, we hope that everyone who stays in the Mother City teams up to save water like a local. Whether you’re a resident or a visitor to the city, we're all in this together! So let’s get our rain dancing shoes on and get jiggy with it…or not….
The message that the City of Cape Town is sending out is that water usage PER PERSON must be reduced to 87 litres per day.
Here are some quick tips to ‘save like a local’:
- The 2 MINUTE POWER SHOWER: rinse, turn off tap, lather, rinse off as quickly as possible
- Don’t leave the tap open while you are brushing your teeth, washing your hands or face etc
- Collect water while you shower and use this water to flush the toilet/mop floors if you’re staying at a self-catering apartment/villa
- When using tap water for cleaning vegetables/dishes etc think about what items are ‘cleanest’ and wash those first so the remaining water can be used for dirtier items
- And of course: ‘If it’s yellow let it mellow. If it’s brown, flush it down’.
Here are some tips by the city of Cape Town on how to use 87 litres:
Wonder how to do a 2-minute shower? Virgin active shows how to power-shower:
If you come surfing with us, please don’t shower just before your lesson/guided session. Since you’ll be going into the ocean, there is no reason for you to have freshly washed skin and hair. Since the showers at the beach have been turned off, you’ll have to wait for your 2-MINUTE POWER SHOWER when you return to your lodging. Luckily, the salt water is great for your skin and hair!
We hope this has helped you understand what you can do as a visitor to our beautiful city to help prevent the taps running dry….remember that there are 4 million of us who still have to live here when you return home….
SURF LESSONS - GROUP & PRIVATE
In the need for some Vitamin D, a healthy dose of Vitamin Sea after being locked down for so long? Bring your Lockdown Lover, your sister, your brother, your Houseparty Mates or your Zoom Date and experience the 'stoke' of surfing with us.
A 1.5 hour lesson includes the use of all equipment and instruction from a qualified surf coach. Our surf school is mobile getting you to the beach with the best conditions on the day. Typically, during winter we operate at Muizenberg and during summer we operate in Big Bay. If you form your own private group of family and friends (recommended at this time), you may let us know your beach preference at the time of booking. For our regular group lessons, we will join you up with others we have surfing that day (we require a minimum of 4 persons to operate a group lesson). Once beaches are open and we are able to operate again, lessons will take place with a strict COVID-19 safety plan in place to ensure the safety of participants and staff.
- 1.5 hours of coaching from an SSA qualified surf coach with current First Aid and CPR certification
- use of a clean, sanitized wetsuit
- use of a sanitized surfboard and leash
- 100% guaranteed 'STOKE'
GROUP LESSONS R350pp
For this option, we will group you with others we have booked-min of 4 pax required to run a group lesson
Form your own group of family and friends and share the STOKE with those closest to you.
2 Person Private: R450pp
3 Person Private: R400pp
4-6 Person Private: R350pp